In 1964 a small group of auto enthusiasts met to discuss the formation of an antique auto club. Following several meetings and the filing of the necessary application papers, on February 4, 1965 our organization became a regional club of the Antique Automobile Club of America. The chosen name for the club, Butler Old Stone House Region, recognized the mid-60′s restoration and public opening of the old stagecoach stop “The Old Stone House” near Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania.
Within four years membership was strong enough to organize our first annual show. The year was 1969 and the location chosen was the popular Pioneer Drive-In Theater on north of Butler, Pennsylvania. As part of the clubs progression the Butler Old Stone House Region hosted a Special National AACA Show in 1991 on the grounds of the Butler County Community College in Butler, Pennsylvania.
Butler Old Stone House Region members have responded many times to requests from various community groups to show the club “owned” cars. The Standard and the Huselton have been in the Safety Day, Memorial Day and the Veterans Day Parades to name a few. The club also participates in the area Fall Festivals. The club also presents classes at local high school vo-techs focused on the history of the local “Butler Built “cars.
Club annual tours have included the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, the Studebaker museum in South Bend Indiana, the Cord Museum in Auburn Indiana, the Frick Car and Carriage Museum in Pittsburgh, the Phipps Conservatory and several local car collections.
The club has restored and provided ongoing maintenance for a 1909 Huselton, owned by the city of Butler, and a 1922 Standard Eight vestibule sedan, owned by the club. The club has recently purchased an open touring Standard which we continue to restore. All of these cars are very rare and were built in Butler, Pennsylvania.
You can help us maintain Butler’s rich history and the great American automotive story by getting involved in the Butler Old Stone House Region club of the AACA.