The Senator Walter Lowrie House

Built by Butler’s only United States senator, Walter Lowrie, in 1828, this is the last remaining house of its type in the Butler area. A listing on the National Register of Historic Places has recognized its historical and architectural significance. The house and its furnishings were bequeathed to the Society in 1986, by Isabelle Shaw, a descendent of the Sullivan family, owners of the house since 1839. Major restoration projects have been completed, both structural and decorative. Furnishings have been returned to their appropriate rooms, the original Wilton wall-to-wall carpet has been recreated, and the house has been returned to its splendor of the late 19th century. Located at 123 West Diamond Street, directly behind the Butler County Courthouse, in Butler the offices of the Butler County Historical Society are now housed in this museum.

The Senator Walter Lowrie House is brought to you by the Butler County Historical Society.

Events Held: 
Senator Walter Lowrie House
123 West Diamond Street
Butler, PA 16001
Phone: 
724-283-8116
Type of Attraction: