1. Grants will be awarded to a current member, or combination of members, of Butler County Tourism & Convention Bureau that submit a grant request (between $500 and $5,000). All applicants and partners must be current members in good standing of BCTCB for at least one year as of the application deadline (March 9, 2024). No lapse in membership dues payment will be eligible.
2. Grants must be in compliance with Pennsylvania Act 18, which require a cash or in-kind local match of at least 25%
“Programs, expenditures or grants that are directly and substantially related to tourism or a business, convention or meeting travel destination within the county, augment and do not compete with private sector tourism or travel efforts and improve and expand the county as a destination market as deemed necessary by the recognized tourist promotion agency.”
3. Grants may be awarded in the following three categories:
- Collaborative Projects: Collaborative activities among various BCTCB members or a single member, that promote overnight stays in Butler County.
- Capital Projects: Scheduled improvements that benefit tourism and augment the visitor’s experience by developing new or enhancing existing tourist attractions or amenities. Capital projects related to replacing or repairing physical attributes to your business will not be funded if the project is deemed to be a normal cost of doing business.
- Marketing Projects: Advertising programs must be targeted to media that will reach non-county residents. In keeping with the mission of BCTCB, any requests of funds for advertising must be placed a minimum of 50 miles outside of Butler County. The grant program will not fund advertisements in local publications, local high school sports programs, local dance troupe programs, etc. All projects must carry the current BCTCB logo. The logo can be found here.
- The grant program will not fund advertisements in local publications or programs.
4. Grants will not be awarded for standard operational expenses such as payroll or utilities, religious or political purposes or websites.
5. Priority of awards will be given to applications that:
- Encourage overnight stays
- Promote collaboration among lodging and activities
- Target new markets
- Include collaboration with additional members
- Enhance the visitor experience
6. All applicants will be asked to present their project to the committee for consideration for a maximum time of five (5) minutes. This will allow the applicant the opportunity to show their passion for their project and be able to answer any pending questions the committee may have. Applicants can present in person or by a pre-approved zoom call.
7. An organization may only apply for one individual grant per year. An organization may also be listed as a partner on one other application per year. Winners may reapply every year, but new projects will receive priority consideration. It should not be presumed that any applicant will be awarded a grant on an annual basis, nor should the availability of these grant awards be considered an annual part of any applicant’s budget.
8. A BCTCB board committee will review all grant applications to select the awardees.
9. Nothing shall prevent the BCTCB grant review committee from withholding part or all of the total monies available for annual awards should they feel that insufficient qualified requests have been submitted.
10. This document will be reviewed annually to enhance and amend.
11. All funds will be awarded at the completion of the project. Recipients are responsible to complete a final report in the requested format and may be submitted for reimbursement any time prior to December 31, 2024. Criteria and format for the final report will be provided to each recipient and includes a summary, photos, receipts and proof of their 25% match.
* Grant participation requirements are to show good faith in your organization and partnership with Butler County Tourism & Convention Bureau. The grant program was designed for the bureau to invest in our member’s businesses, ideas and initiatives. Your participation shows your investment in us.