The Buhl House with its ten rooms houses a museum for the Buhl family and for the town. Collections include artifacts related to the history of Zelienople, its schools, commerce, business and daily life, as well as temporary, traveling, and on-loan exhibits, Buhl family portraits, and items commemorating the family's beginnings in Zelienople and significance in history. The Buhl House also contains our Museum Shop.
Christian Buhl arrived in America from Germany on 1802 and built the Buhl House, now Zelienople's oldest existing building, in 1805. Buhl and his wife Fredericka Dorothea Goehring raised their eleven children there. He was the town's hatter and furrier, and was later appointed an Associate Judge of Butler County. His descendants pursued business enterprises in many parts of the country and abroad, eventually assuming leadership roles in politics, commerce, and philanthropy.
In 1870, the Buhl and Passavant families celebrated an intermarriage when Zélie's and Phillipe's son Charles Sidney married Jane Buhl Randolph, granddaughter of Christian Buhl.
In 1991 Buhl House was purchased by a Zelienople Historical Society member and one year later deeded to the Society for use as a second museum site.
The Buhl House is brought to you by the Zelienople Historical Society.