Hello summer sunshine! Soak up some rays, cool off in the water, and enjoy fun with family & friends in Butler County, PA. Enjoy endless activities, campgrounds, one-of-a-kind festivals & more. Have fun with all things Butler County this summer!
Butler County, PA welcomes the local community and visitors to discover more of western PA this summer. Only 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh, Butler County, PA is the perfect weekend getaway for couples and families, as well as a wonderful place to discover new spots with family and friends. Camp, explore nature at gorgeous parks, and try adventurous outdoor activities like kayaking and stand-up paddle board. Explore charming small towns like Zelienople and Saxonburg, support local businesses and restaurants, and enjoy fun kids activities like mini golf, play areas, and a super cool toy store. Indulge in the Butler County Beer Circuit and Sweet Tooth Trail along the way. Find something for everybody in Butler County, PA!
If you post any photos of your outdoor fun on social media, we would love to see them! Use the hashtags:
#ButlerCountyExploreMore #LoveButlerCounty #ButlerCountyPA #PASummerDays
Play In Our Parks
Moraine State Park, located in Portersville is a great place to start your outdoor fun! Moraine offers just about every outdoor activity you can think of: biking, boating, disc golf, fishing, geocaching, hiking, picnicking, swimming, windsurfing and more.
Jennings Environmental Education Center, located in Slippery Rock, is a unique combination of protected prairie and forest. Jennings is the only protected prairie in the state and also features the endangered Massasauga rattlesnake. Visitors can enjoy hikes year round on their 5-mile trail system, but perhaps the most popular time to visit is during July when the Blazing Star is in bloom.
Take A Hike
The North Country National Trail (NCT) runs through Moraine State Park and Jennings Environmental Education Center. This trail is about 4,600 miles, spans across seven states and is the only national trail to stretch from west to east.
Trails, trails and more trails
Lace up a good pair of shoes and get moving! Relax at one of our many parks or enjoy a variety of trails. You’ll find trails for hiking, walking, biking, and exciting places to see all kinds of wildflowers and birds.
Discover New Date Ideas
Sit back, relax and enjoy some popcorn as you savor summer nights under the stars watching movies on the big screen! Head to Starlight Drive-In for some classic entertainment, or check out Cranberry Community Park, who offers free movie series and an awesome summer concert series. Check out the movie schedule for Cranberry Community Park here.
Great Taste of Summer
Looking for that fresh summery taste? Over the course of the summer, there will be several opportunities to experience the taste of farm-fresh foods and entertainment. To grill up your own delicious eats, pick up some fresh local goods at nearby farmers' markets.
There are lots of different ways to enjoy sports in Butler County. Go golfing on nearly a dozen golf courses, all within a half hour’s drive of each other or check out the three championship Disc Golf Courses throughout the county. You can also head over to Lernerville Speedway to watch races. Check out their schedule here. Cool off at Public Skating sessions at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex to complete your sports journey.
Family Fun Activities
Find indoor and outdoor activities to enjoy with family and friends this summer! Add an activity like mini golf, art making, or axe throwing to your weekend plans. Visit our family fun page for more information.
- Altitude Trampoline Park
- Butler YMCA
- Family Bowlaway Fun Center
- Fun Fore All
- Flying Squirrel Cranberry Township
- Mars-Bethel Golf
- Mystery Mayhem Escapes and Axe Throwing
- Playthings Etc. Family Toy & Hobbies
- Rose E. Schneider Family YMCA
- Sherwood Lanes
- Steele’s Brushes and Ceramics
- The Maridon Museum
- Three Rivers Paintball
- Urban Air Adventure Park
Get the gang together for s’mores and good times at one of our campgrounds. Each of our campgrounds offers a variety of accommodations and amenities for the whole family to enjoy. So sit back, relax and embrace those summer evenings sitting by the fire, roasting marshmallows and chasing fireflies.
Our weekend forecast calls for many fun events happening in Butler County, PA! Visit our event calendar for more information.
- 1-2: Saxonburg Carnival (Starts June 28)
- 6: Teatime Cruise on Preston’s Pearl
- 1-9: Big Butler Fair
- 9: Butler Downtown Night at the Ballpark
- 14-16: Cranberry Township Community Days
- 16: Mega Cruise at the Butler County Airport
- 16: Wildflower Festival at Freedom Farms
- 21-23: Horse Trading Days
- 22-24: Butler Bikes & BBQ
- 30: Celebrate the Bloom
- Butler County Sweet Tooth Trail - Desserts are even more delightful on Butler County’s Sweet Tooth Trail, a self-guided tour of local bakeries, ice cream shops, and candy stores. Visit all 18 locations and savor the flavors of the area’s finest chocolate, baked goods, frozen treats and more!
- Butler County Coffee Connection - Rise & Shine, caffeine lovers! Enjoy your favorite latte, frappé or chai tea along the Butler County Coffee Connection, a self-guided tour of local coffee shops. This aromatic adventure features 11 stops throughout a variety of charming towns, and is the perfect way to conquer your caffeine quest!
- Butler County Beer Circuit - Grab your “Passport to Hoppiness” and navigate your way through the Butler County Beer Circuit, a self-guided trail of local brewpubs. This trail features 13 different brewpubs, a taproom, and a canning facility; all offering a variety of unique and local craft beers year-round.
How Our Trails Work - Create your own itinerary on these tasty trails and fill up your passport with a specially designed symbol from each participating location. Move on to the next spot at your leisure. Once your passport is complete, bring it to Butler County Tourism & Convention Bureau to claim a commemorative prize!
Passports can be picked up at participating locations, the Tourism Bureau in Zelienople or any of the Bureau's 35 brochure racks throughout the county.
Purchase Butler County Gift Certificates, valid at nearly 100 local businesses or a Best of Butler County Gift Basket filled with locally-made goodies including chocolates, spices, coffee, condiments, and more!
Photo contest entry (Photo: David Barker)
Capture the beauty of spring by entering our Butler County Tourism Photo Contest for your chance to win Butler County gift certificates! Each quarter, we award $100 to first place, $75 to second and $50 to third. The theme is tourism-related photos, so we're looking for events, the great outdoors, arts, history and more. The next deadline for submission is June 30.
Kayak at Moraine (Photo: Evan Nowak)
Explore hidden treasures, gorgeous parks, and more in Butler County with the Visit Butler County, PA! App or Visit Widget on desktop. Add restaurants, businesses, and roadside attractions to your plan. Then, share your itinerary with friends. Download now!